Scholarships for Civil Engineering Students
Engineering is one of the most in-demand programs among incoming college students. From mechanical to electronics, it has various fields that you can choose as your major.
While it is exciting to learn from these areas, paying for your tuition fees can be overwhelming. Most have no choice but to get student loans to finish their degrees. But if you do not want to pay off these loans even after graduating, you can look for scholarships for engineers.
To learn more about how you can get it, you can read the information and tips below.
Graduate Without Debt and Work in an Exciting Career
No one wants to pay off debt from student loans even after graduation. As much as possible, you want to start working to earn for your future. But it will be challenging if you still have considerable debt. It will hold you back from achieving your dreams, like buying your own car or moving to a new and bigger house. Instead of being excited because of your work, you will most likely feel unmotivated because of your struggles. Therefore, you must take your scholarship application seriously.
One of the requirements for applicants is an essay that shows why you deserve a scholarship grant. It will help the assigned committee to evaluate whether you pass their qualifications or not. Because this output reveals your personal statements and goals, they can determine your character and commitment. So, it would be best to ask for help from Perfectessay, a custom writing company that can work on this crucial requirement. By using their services, you can look forward to the fantastic work opportunities available for Civil Engineering graduates.
List of the Best Civil Engineering Scholarships
There are several institutions and organizations offering scholarships for engineering students. Whether you are on undergraduate or graduate level, they can give assistance to those who deserve it. Instead of applying to just one institution, it would be best to pass requirements to different ones. This will make your chances of being accepted higher. The list below contains some of the best scholarship grants that you must consider (arranged alphabetically).
- Ada I. Pressman Memorial Scholarship
- Anne Maureen Whitney Barrow Memorial Scholarship
- Arsham Amirikian Engineering Scholarship
- Beavers Heavy Construction Engineering Scholarship
- Bechtel Undergraduate Fellowship Award
- Betty Shanahan Scholarship
- Charles W. Davidson Scholarship Endowment
- Daniel J. Caputo Sr. & Minnie J. Caputo Civil Engineering Endowment Scholarship
- Elson T. Killam Memorial Scholarship
- Eric M. Bergtraun Facilities Engineering Excellence Award
- George M. Sicular Endowment Scholarship
- HSF/Monsanto Fund Scholarship
- Leonard and Patricia Bushnell Memorial Scholarship
- Mindful Urgent Care Scholarship
- MSPE Abrams Grant
- NEWWA Scholarships
- The Michael Garofano Memorial Scholarship
- The Joseph Murphy Scholarship
- Virgil D. Goodrich Scholarship Fund
- Western Union Foundation Global Scholarship Program
Why Is It Important to Qualify for a Scholarship?
To study in one of the distinguished colleges for civil engineers, you must have enough money for tuition fees and other expenses. However, it might be challenging for you and other students who struggle financially. This is why scholarships are beneficial for aspiring engineers like you who might feel held back because of finances. Even if you have the intellectual capabilities to get good grades, you cannot see yourself enrolling in an engineering program because of money.
With the aid you can get from the scholarship grant, you can pay for your tuition fees and buy the necessary books and equipment. Also, you can use this as your allowance for living expenses, like food and lodging. After graduating, you do not have to worry about student loans anymore!
Besides the monetary help, you can also use this opportunity as a stepping stone to get into big companies in the future. Being a scholar is an amazing feat that reveals your intellect, skills, and motivation. Companies are aware that scholars have to maintain a specific grade to continue receiving grants. Because of this, they know that you can be an asset in their company because of your abilities.
How to Apply for Civil Engineering Scholarships
Once you have decided to apply for scholarships, you must understand that the entire process requires your patience and compliance. Because institutions need to scrutinize every applicant to choose the best ones, you must exert a lot of time and effort to be selected. You have to prove to them that you qualify and deserve to be their beneficiary.
To start, you should look for institutions and organizations like the ones listed in this article. Some of them only accept applicants from a particular state or school. If you do not meet this requirement, you must look for the ones that apply to you. Also, there are several organizations that only cater to women. Because males mostly dominate engineering, they want to encourage more women to take engineering programs by giving grants. Lastly, you should search for the ones that help civil engineering students specifically.
Besides these qualifications, they have a long list of requirements as they want to choose the best and most deserving. Most of them will ask for your grades (GPA) and your family’s annual income to assess if you need and deserve it or not. They will also ask you to submit an essay to express your intent and share your experiences. Through this, they will know how you handle pressure and struggles and strive to achieve your goals. Before submitting all requirements, you must ensure that they are complete and of the best quality.
Civil Engineering Scholarships From the Private Sector
Besides organizations and institutions, businesses and professional associations also provide engineer scholarships. They look for students who pursue degrees related to their companies. Some of them employ their own scholars after graduation to be part of their workforce.
As they already know the students’ credentials, they can trust their competency in the field. Below are some scholarship grants from the private sector.
- The American Society of Civil Engineers offers various grants for both undergraduate and graduate students. Some of them are the following:
- The Lawrence W. And Francis W. Cox Scholarship is available to undergraduates enrolled in a program accredited by ABET (Accreditation of Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.) at a particular university.
- The Y. C. Yang Civil Engineering Scholarship is offered to 3rd- or 4th-year undergraduates of an ABET-accredited program.
- The Arthur S. Tuttle Memorial Scholarship is open to graduate students who intend to get their Master’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- The American Council of Engineering Companies of New York provides annual civil, mechanical, and structural engineering scholarships for their junior or senior students.
- The Association of State Dam Safety Officials gives an annual Senior Undergraduate Scholarship to Civil Engineering students whose major is related to dams, hydrology, and hydraulics.
- The Society of Women Engineers offers an annual scholarship for women pursuing degrees in civil engineering, whether for undergraduate or graduate studies.
Civil Engineering Scholarships From Colleges and Universities
If you want to be a scholar in your own school, you can choose campus-based scholarships. Most of their grants are merit-based, but you can also look for the ones that offer financial assistance. Below are some of the colleges and universities giving scholarships to Civil Engineering students.
- University of Kentucky College of Engineering
- University of Minnesota Department of Civil Engineering
- South Dakota State University
- Purdue University School of Civic Engineering
In conclusion, you have several choices when applying for a scholarship grant. You can opt for the ones given by NGOs, private businesses and organizations, and universities.
Even though they have challenging requirements, you must persevere to finish your studies without acquiring huge debts.