Australia funds US$380 Million for Queensland Road Projects
The Australian and Queensland governments have reached agreement for funding major road infrastructure projects in South East Queensland and Central Queensland with a value of over US$ 380 million (AU$ 500 million).
The road projects involve upgrading the M1 Motorway and construction of the Walkerston, to include:
- Pacific Motorway (M1) – Upgrade to 6 lanes from Mudgeeraba to Varsity Lakes.
- M1/Gateway – Major upgrade and merge of the southbound lanes at Eight Mile Plains A.
- Construction of the Walkerston Bypass near Mackay.
- Widening of the Mt Lindesay Highway between Browns Plains and Beaudesert.
- Funding for the planning of the M1 – Varsity Lakes to Tugun.
Early works on the M1 Gateway Merge project is expected to begin in November 2017 with major construction works following on after the Commonwealth Games; whilst construction of the Walkerston Bypass will commence after completion of the Mackay Ring Road – Stage 1 project.