Los Angeles DoT selects INRIX for Urban Mobility Intelligence
Los Angeles drivers spent an average of 104 hours last year in traffic jams during peak congestion hours – more than any other city in the world – as identified by the 2016 INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard. To improve Urban Mobility Intelligence, the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) selected INRIX Roadway Analytics for instant and highly precise road performance analysis. The cloud-based traffic analysis tool helps LADOT identify areas that benefit most from road improvements, reduce the cost of operations, and more accurately measure and report the impact of transportation investments.
“Like many cities, traffic in and around Los Angeles has far-reaching impact – not only on commuters, but also to our economy and the environment,” said Tim Fremaux, Transportation Engineer. “With INRIX Roadway Analytics, we’re taking the necessary steps to maximize our efforts to move people and goods through our city.”
Roadway Analytics is helping LADOT manage its road network with access to on-demand data to analyze, visualize and understand performance without the need for additional technology investments. The city can also identify and compare locations that are operating sub-optimally to help prioritize road improvement efforts. In addition, Roadway Analytics allows city planners to perform before and after studies to quantify and communicate the impact of road projects; monitor and identify performance trends on roadways; produce and report key performance indicators on travel times and congestion reduction; and monitor, compare and adjust construction zones to minimize the impact on traffic flow.
LADOT will utilize analytics and traffic services from INRIX to improve system planning, traffic management and operations in Los Angeles:
- Performance Charts produces line and bar graphs, which enable before and after studies and/or comparisons of roadways with visualizations to communicate findings
- Congestion Scan uses heat maps to identify problem areas along a road, helping Calgary pinpoint the location of congestion to better target improvement efforts
- Trend Maps is a visual communication tool that illustrates the impact of roadway conditions throughout the day
- Bottleneck Ranking identifies hotspots or congested corridors during a specific analysis period within an area, and provides a ranking by determining the number of occurrences, length and duration of each bottleneck
- Data Downloader enables users to directly query INRIX XD Traffic speed archive data (from 24 hours prior) for any road segment and/or time period
“Sprawling urban growth is driving traffic congestion around cities around the world,” said Scott Sedlik, vice president and general manager – public sector at INRIX. “By identifying consistent and problematic traffic patterns, LADOT can now prioritize investments that directly reduce gridlock.”
INRIX Roadway Analytics is a cloud-based, on-demand traffic analysis tool available in 47 countries across North America, Europe and the Middle East. It provides transportation agencies with easy access to powerful road analysis and insights stemming from highly-granular INRIX XDTM segments.
Roadway Analytics allows transportation planners and government agencies to leverage big data to monitor changes in traffic patterns, target improvements to maximize benefits and produce visualizations to convey important information to decision makers. With historical data and multi-year trend analysis, Roadway Analytics is being used to assist with setting and tracking progress against new federally-required mobility performance targets.